kate middleton prince william royal wedding cake
JOHN STILLWELL/AFP/Getty Images

Hungry for more royal wedding coverage? Presenting Prince William and Kate Middleton's eight-tiered cake, to be consumed at Friday's reception.

Fiona Cairns spent five weeks putting together the entire dessert and covering it with 900 flowers, ivy leaves and lace work -- upon Kate's request -- and topped with the newlyweds' cipher.

So what's inside? Some delicious details from the Daily Mail:

"The cakemaker would not reveal all the ingredients she used but said the cake contained a range of produce from dried fruits such as raisins and sultanas to walnuts, cherries, grated oranges and lemon, French brandy and free-range eggs and flour."

And now, without further ado, the tastiest close-up yet.

• terry

THE CAKE WAS AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL. ANOTHER THING, I THINK THAT WE AMERICAN'S SHOULD START WEARING HAT'S AGAIN ALTHOUGH SOME WERE OUTLANDISH MANY WERE STYLISH AND SMART LOOKING, BUT THAT'S ONLY ME.

• Blonde Ambition

Gorgeous, exquisitely made cake. Pooh on the Debbie Downers who post here.

• shirlee

I hope It isn't like our Xmas fruit cake. Yuk....=)
    It is beautiful on the outside..being "Royal" It is probably wonderful on the inside., however I don't like fruit cake. I understand it is traditional for the Brits.

• bev

why do some of you even bother to comment if u have to say something nasty? I'm 80 yrs old and watching the whole thing on TV from start to finish, made "me" feel their happiness. It was wonderful, everything, I wish them happiness and a healthy life. Thanks for sharing your beautiful day with all of us. And, , , Prayers for those in the south who have lost so much. Thoughts are with all of you.

• J

Maybe the first week of the five was design and making some of the sugar flowers (nine hundred of them ) ? doesnt mean the cake was baked first and heck no the Queen of england was not fed stale cake

• GrnEyes

What a stellar wedding!! The bride and groom were not bad either. Everything was absolutely perfect. Thank you UK for giving us a Royal break from unemployment and the economy.

• rose

We don't usually frost fruit cake, I wonder if it is similar to the fruitcake that is well, dare I say,"popular" around Christmas time? I wonder if there is a type of recipe or one similar.

• Jim

The British monarchy, what a pile of crap..

• James

The British monarchy is a big joke. What a pile of crap.

• Dee

I think the cake was perfectly understated, as well was the whole wedding. In today's economy, no one wants to see an overtly flashy, and garishly expensive cake (even on the Royal's budget). I think the fact that these two were practically common law spouses (8years in the same household already) should in itself been a cue to keep things a bit low key. I think if they weren't blue bloods, here they would have had a quick trip to Vegas and the cake would have been for a baby shower!

• Banana

I've enjoyed reading your article. You should implement a Google Plus button on your site, for folks to save it. I recently plused this article: Banane.

• Banana

I've enjoyed reading your post. You should implement a Google+ button on your site, for visitors to save it. I recently plused this article: Bananele.

• 72 Comments / 4 Pages