kate middleton prince william royal wedding cake
JOHN STILLWELL/AFP/Getty Images

Hungry for more royal wedding coverage? Presenting Prince William and Kate Middleton's eight-tiered cake, to be consumed at Friday's reception.

Fiona Cairns spent five weeks putting together the entire dessert and covering it with 900 flowers, ivy leaves and lace work -- upon Kate's request -- and topped with the newlyweds' cipher.

So what's inside? Some delicious details from the Daily Mail:

"The cakemaker would not reveal all the ingredients she used but said the cake contained a range of produce from dried fruits such as raisins and sultanas to walnuts, cherries, grated oranges and lemon, French brandy and free-range eggs and flour."

And now, without further ado, the tastiest close-up yet.

• DORIS

THANK YOU PRINCE WILLIAM AND KATE FOR GIVING US A DAY OF COMPLETE HAPPINESS IN A WORLD SO FULL OF DISPAIR. I WATCHED EVERY MOMENT AND LOVED EVERY MOMENT. GOD BLESS YOU BOTH WITH MANY YEARS OF WEDDED BLISS.

• harl6971

I saw that same cake at the Costco bakery last week.

• shane

You should have bought it then. you would have made a fortune on e-bay.

• trish

What a BEAUTIFUL cake, smaller wedding cakes done all fancy like that cost a mint, that one I couldn't even imagin how much it cost...but it is so fitting for a Roayal wedding, again BEAUTIFUL.

• jan

It's brillant!!

• La Fianna Erian

What a waste of money. I would have had more respect if they had said " we will spend this money on feeding the hungry in England"! Its disgusting and shameful! Monarchy in this day and age! Shame on us for even talking about such filth! I will never visit England! They bad mouth us Americans and we celebrate all of their stupidity!

• Janice

Sour Grapes!!

• roz2001

If you feed the hungry once they are hungry the next day. Life is about more than that. I am wishing the Royal Couple many many years of happiness. Plus most of their wedding gifts are donations to charities.

• San Antonio Rita

The bride and groom looked so happy! Next week my dear hubby and I will celebrate our 38 years of marriage. My wish for Wills and Kate is that they live out the words from an old song --"I love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow." A marriage takes work and compromise from both sides. Remember to say "I love you" to each other, many times a day. I could go on and on -- anyway that's how we've built 38 years of marriage. Oh, and we still hold hands in public!!!! Smile!!!!

• gldkarma

Congrats, Rita! You guys are a great couple and have been through alot to have a great life! Wish you the best for many more!!

• Paraplus2029

Right on, Donna, Sue, Joanne, Binky and the rest! Long live the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge! Congratulations to Bonny Prince William and his beautiful Kate! Diana was smiling with pride and joy on this day!

• Julie

Elegant and beautiful, just like Kate.

• mari

i remember reading that prince William was having a chocolate grooms cake. i would have liked to see that too. I think the cake is beautiful and it was such a happy wedding.

• jessica

My, how intricate and beautiful! I bid well ado to the creator. That took tons of patience and hours to complete. and look at the center of the flowers, at the stigma! That is amazing detail! I am in complete awe of today's technology and how they can put such detail into things.

• Dorothy Spurling

I think the cake is beautiful. When I saw it, I said "WOW"!!! Sooo nicely done. What perfection!!!

• kaden

WILLIAMS CAKE IS MADE WITH BISCUTS OUR UK BISCUTS KIND OF LIKE YOUR OREO WITHOUT ICING, THEY ARE BROKEN UP IN SMALL PIECES THEM 40 LBS OF GOOD CHOCOLATE IS MIXED IN, AND ANY OTHER THINGS YOU LIKE, WE THEN FREEZE IT FOR DAY, THEN WE PUT ICEING ON , THEN ITS READY ITS AWSOME

• Mike

that cake didn't need any gaudy color. it was exquisit!

• maxiesmom067

The cake was gorgeous, but FRUITCAKE? I don't even eat that stuff at Christmas time!

• D.A.

Roses, shamrocks and thistles! How did they manage to create all those little details on them?

• louise

Yeh Yeh Yeh !!!! People will talk.