duke duchess william kate
Dominic Lipinski, pool / AP

Queen Elizabeth II gave Prince William the title of Duke of Cambridge and Kate Middleton the title of Duchess of Cambridge before the bride and groom's ceremony on Friday.

In addition to the dukedom, William also became the Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus, which means Kate will become the Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfergus.

That makes three titles each for the royal couple.

According to The Telegraph, dukedom is the highest rank in the British peerage.

More Royal Wedding News:

Photos: Royal Wedding Balcony Moments of the Past

Photos: Royal Wedding Dresses, The Bad and the Beautiful

Photos: The Royal Family Tree

Who's Who in the Royal Wedding Party

Video: Prince Charles Break Dances (Sorta)

Follow the Royal Wedding Route

Prince William and Kate Pay Emotional Visit to Princess Diana's Grave

Prince William and Kate Middleton Look a Little Sketchy

Who Was Crowned the Most Beautiful Royal of All Time?

Women Don't Envy Kate Middleton

Could Prince William's Future Daughter Be Queen?

• tony

Destruction by Tornados, earthquakes, flooding, poor economy and the focus is on Fairyland..Guess it serves its purpose. But tell it to those affected by the mentioned

• BarbaraAnn

Well, I found the wedding to be a beautiful, lovely and a refreshing change of pace, a wonderful distraction from the ugly, hateful headlines and media stories that have been everywhere for so very long. Doesn't any of you haters out there ever enjoy some happy news once in a while?? No wonder you are so nasty and loathing! I feel sorry for your obviously pathetic, miserable existances that you cannot feel happiness in the joy of others!! It is a beautiful day in England and I love every minute of it! Hooray for the Prince and Princess!! God speed!

• Raymond

Although I don't live in Great Britain, I do wish both Prince William & Kate Middleton All The Best!

• Bob

I could care less about the royal wedding, does not effect my life, life would go one with them being married or not being married. Being a man last I checked LOL, I would rather watch a good hockey game, baseball game, basketball game etc. Now on the other hand my wife has to watch this and all the stars on TV every night. She will look at me and say you know what star that is and I just tell her the truth, no I do not and could care less. All I want to do is watch my sports, new, and weather and everything else about royal weddings and movie stars, I could care less.

• Frankie

Bob, don't tell me, let me guess. You fart wherever you are (and find it hysterical). You belch in peoples' faces (and find that hysterical too). You shower once a month, if that (and to hell with anyone who isn't manly enough to stand the smell). You spill food and beer all over yourself (and think that's cool). And you call your wife "wench." Watching sports, weather and news. You're one class act. Must be magic being married to you.

• Jane

I loved every minute...and I am not a frufru type. But, sadly, I feel I know William and Harry better than my own children. So, I am happy to see all of the joy and excitement. I can live vicariously. I hope they have 70 +/- happy and healthy years together.

• Bullwhip47

A Royal wedding is a great thing to behold for the world. Not much happness left anywhere these days. Besides i have been doing my girl friends family tree for weeks and have found that the King of Scottland ( Robert De Bruce IV) is a part of her tree. Nice thing to know about ones self. Enjoy life .

• Danny

All Americans should be more focused on the hundreds of lives that were lost in the last couple of days due to the tornadoes. Who gives a rats ass about a royal wedding in another country?

• shawnred67

Didn't our founding fathers leave that country for a reason? I'm amazed at the collective folly in televising the nuptials and amount of blah blah blah going on but we're all different, we all like different things and if we were all the same, then YOU, yes YOU, wouldn't have anything to talk about. Jabber on and best wishes to everyone who has committed their heart to another, whether married or not!

• jk

can't wait to see the queen do the chicken dance.

• Sharlene Comstock

Does anyone remember the last time T.V. cameras took us inside that beautiful cathedral?
    Prince William and Prince Harry were mourning their mother, and most of the hearts throughout the world went out to them. Today, those were the same hearts that were touched by the happiness and smiles on their faces. It amazes me how many people are so mean spirited and resentful of such a wonderful occasion. May God bless William and Cate with many years of smiles and happiness. Princess Diana would be proud.

• DJ

The funniest thing about the Royal Wedding?!?
    The Queen SLEEPING during the ceremony - HA!!!

• DR FRED

WHO CARES !!!!!!!!!!

• lola

Let me just say to all those in England - ALL OF US here in the USA are NOT represented by the few on here that are mean spirited. Most of them are saying the same things about our GREAT PRESIDENT OBAMA. They are racisit, homophobic, TEA PARTY , CONSERVATIVE HATERS that are undereducated and well just plain ignorant. The lack of thiesr job or thie financial situation HERE in the USA has nothing to do with the Royal family in Enghland.

The majority of us in this country respect your over 1,000 years of history ( to our piss poor 241 year history). It is fabulous , your Monarchy, too bad some people have no sense of style , class and respect.

• Henry

Whiskey for the men.......Beer for the Horses.....Long live the Queen

• sbrewton9

Best fashion statement of the royal wedding...William's umm uniform. I didn't realize he was the "nutcracker" as well the duke, the earl, the baron and the burgermeister meisterburger till this morning.

• mike

So Kates'new last name is what again?

• PRL

I awoke this morning wanting to hear my local American news before I left my home for work, but every channel had this wedding on. I resent being held hostage like that, This coverage should only have been on the cable news channels NIOT on local networks..... I AM AN AMERICAN NOT BRITISH AND REALLY DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THIS WEDDING!

• Bogey