kate middleton bullied
AP

Mean Girls may have been a blockbuster hit here in the States, but the plot definitely translated across the pond. According to a new book, Kate Middleton was tormented by her fellow classmates at Downe House, a girls' boarding school in Thatcham, Berkshire, that she attended for two months in 1996.

"In our peer group she was regarded as a nonentity," an unnamed source reveals in Kate, a new biography by Sean Smith, which is set to be published after the royal wedding. "All the social-climbing girls -- and there were lots of them at Downe House -- thought she was not worth bothering with."

Jessica Hay, reportedly a close friend of Kate's, explains that the bride-to-be's sweet nature made her an easy target for bullies. "She said that there was a group of girls that called her names and they stole her books and stuff -- little things like that. They rounded up on her a bit because she was quite a soft and nice person."

Reports of crueler treatment, including smearing her bed with excrement, have been denied by Kate's close friends.

"I think it's fair to say she was unsettled and not particularly happy. Maybe in Kate's case she just kind of went quiet and didn't say anything," Susan Cameron, Downe House's head mistress, told London's Mail.

Like many schoolchildren, Prince William's fiancée was not immune to the schoolyard bullying, which can be especially traumatizing among young girls.

"Boys will have a bit of a spat and knock someone over, but girls will be more insidious and catty," Cameron explained. "They know where it hurts. I've seen my fair share of that. Any school that says they don't have any bullying at all is probably lying. It depends how you define it."

This may further explain why the royal couple requested wedding guests to support London-based Beatbullying, an organization that helps families, schools, and communities cope with and prevent such harassment.

More Royal Wedding News:

Sneaky Pippa! The Royal Bachelorette Party Details

See Princess Di's Secret Second Wedding Dress

Check out Kate's Royal Ride to Her Wedding Ceremony

Royal Wedding Guests: Who's Coming? Who's Too Busy?

Royal Engagement Rings: 11 Stunning Rings Worn by Princess Brides

Royal Wedding Dresses: A Look at the World's Most Famous Wedding Gowns

• joan

And, who gets the last laugh, now? Best wishes to Kate and William, may their happiness last a lifetime.

• Jane T

As I was readiing the article I thought exactly that. I hope those little snots are quaking in their desgner boots!

• Fabian52

I think she is amazing. I wish her and William the best. I think this one will definitely last.

• shelly volkman

"Fascinating" how Downe House's head mistress, Susan Cameron, took no accountability in the way Kate was mistreated. Isn't it the job of a good school administrator to be aware of such dynamics, particularly in a boarding school setting where the tormented child would be facing round-the-clock abuse?

• Chris

My sentiments exactly.

• Princess Di

I agree. Hope they remember who they are and regret their stupidity.

• Jane

I agree completely! I Who is having the last laugh now? Actually, I bet she doesn't even give them a second thought. Sweet! I hope she and William have a wonderful life together!

• MARCIA

to the Bullies that did this to Kate, TAKE NOTICE AND LOOK WHO IS SHINNING NOW, U GO KATE YOU ARE A SHINNING STAR :)

• rphall

Is it my imagination, or does this young lady get prettier every time we see her? Seriously, it is good to know that this princess-to-be, unlike a couple of her predecessors, has a good head on her shoulders, a realistic perspective on the world, and her feet squarely on the ground. If there must be royalty, then let it be recruited from the ranks of solid citizens like Ms Middleton.

• Maddog

It just goes to show you should be nice to everyone. One day they might be in a position to help you when you need it. People will ALWAYS remember how you treated them.

• Gregory Schwartz

Or like my Mom used to say...."Be careful...the toes you step on today, may be connected to the feet you have to kiss tomorrow".

• wendy

Were you a bully?

• Gina

And where are these girls now that bullied Kate? HAHA, best wishes to William and Kate may you have a long happy life together.

• Anne

HAha, Kate gets the last laugh. She is a lovely girl and she showed em who has class and who is on the short list to nowhere.....

• JBaer

Can someone please explain why this matters 15 years after the fact...?

• GeriGB

It doesn't matter--in the scheme of things. It does matter to the victims. And this goes to show you that nice individuals e are targeted by the catty vicious humans!! And it's worth mentioning to the public.

• Manda

It may not matter to you, but I'm willing to bet it still matters to Kate. Bullying is something that follows you through life. So whether it happened yesterday or 10 years ago makes to difference to the person who had to live through it.

• Dianne

Why does it matter now? Because it always stays with you even if it's at the back of your mind...you never forget it. I was bullied over 50 years ago in high school by two girls. I just ignored them but found out after the 50 year reunion that one of them had died and I can honestly say I was not sadden by that news. You will ALWAYS remember individuals who treated you nice and would like to forget those that did not.

• Suzanne

Guess who's not getting an invitation to this royal wedding????

• mae

Pretty soon, Kate can say..."off with their heads"....and mean it!!